Increasingly, our donors are choosing to give securities (stocks, bonds or mutual funds) instead of cash. When you gift securities directly to the Comox Valley Healthcare Foundation, they are not subject to capital gains, and you receive a charitable tax receipt for the full amount of the donation.
“The planning strategy of donating appreciated securities has allowed Victoria and I the ability to achieve our annual philanthropic goals. The strategy enables us to give a little bit more in a tax efficient manner, a true win win. I highly recommend you discuss your charitable giving plans with your advisor.”
– Robert Mulrooney, Comox Valley Healthcare Foundation Board Member.
The chart below is for illustration purposes. We recommend you work with your professional advisor to ensure any gift of securities fits your individual financial planning needs. We would be pleased to share with you, and your advisor, our form for facilitating gifts of securities.
Here’s how it works:
- You can transfer securities directly to Comox Valley Healthcare Foundation.
- We then promptly sell the securities after the transfer.
- You do not incur the capital gains tax, and healthcare benefits from your donation.
- You will receive a tax receipt for the full market value of the shares on the day the securities are transferred to Comox Valley Healthcare Foundation.
When you choose to make a gift of securities to the Comox Valley Healthcare Foundation, you can feel confident knowing that you are supporting healthcare, close to home and optimizing the tax benefits of giving.