Did you know the Comox Valley Hospital is a LEED gold-certified building? That means it was built with “Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design” principles and meets gold certification. One of four on Vancouver Island. We feel that is something to celebrate, particularly on #EarthDay, and we are pleased to offer a few further details about this green certification.
Your local hospital:
- Uses 22% less energy than a similar hospital of its size and emits 73% less greenhouse gases
through heat recovery chillers, increased insulation, high performance windows, efficient LED
lighting, and low flow plumbing fixtures.
- Consumes 50% less water by using water-efficient equipment, water-saving devices, and a
comprehensive metering system to detect and resolve waste issues quickly.
- Uses green cleaning products and equipment like electrolyzed water technology.
- Is built with healthy materials and is furnished with textiles and products that meet strict
ingredient and emission requirements.
- Promotes the well-being and comfort of patients and staff through careful design related to
acoustics, air ventilation, and lighting.
For more information about Island Health’s commitment to the environment, click here 🌎❤️